7 things you walk past every day in Bury St Edmunds and may not know their 'hidden' history
Some are beautiful, some profound, some are mysterious, and some are just plain 'stinky'.
During the very first lockdown last year, Moyse's Hall Museum in Bury St Edmunds launched a series of videos revealing some of the 'hidden histories' from within the museum, including the inner workings of the town clock.
To coincide with Heritage Open Days later that year, we challenged Moyse's heritage officer, Dan Clarke, who starred in the videos, to share some of his favourite 'hidden histories' in Bury St Edmunds itself.
Here's what he came up with.
Do you know any others?
Leave your suggestions in the comment section below.
The reflector on the wall at Brentgovel Street is a relic from where the main bus station was three decades ago. The site is now occupied by McDonalds.
The buses would drive up Brentgovel Street and the reflector would help guide their way.
This stone skull is in wall as you enter Abbeygate. Half way through Abbeygate, there is a side door to the right. Enter through that and the skull is directly in front above a second doorway.
Though many growing up in the town thought it was real, it’s actually a broken piece of gravestone, re-used when the small side building was constructed over a century ago.
The Wolf Skull 'Hole'
In 1845, a three-year project began to restore the decaying Norman Tower. Around five to six feet of groundwork had built up over a 600-year period and during excavation, the following year, around twenty wolf skulls and one wolf hound were discovered nearby.
A highly 'mysterious' find, the best example of a wolf skull can be seen at Moyse’s Hall today: perhaps the killing of such a 'pest' would have been considered a payment to the Abbey for monies owed.
The street level, or 'hole', is also closer to how it would been in medieval times.
The Stink Pipe
There are several of these in Bury St Edmunds with the best two examples on Eastgate Street and also Fornham Road.
They were made by sewage specialists and iron workers, William E Farrer Ltd of Birmingham in the early 20th Century.
Stink pipes, sometimes called 'stench pipes' were hollow iron structures that let out smelly and often harmful gasses that built up in the sewage pipes under the roads and pavements.
The plaque above Adnams shop may not even be noticed as people pop in for a their beer.
It does in fact landmark where the great fire of 1608 finished, having destroyed a huge part of the town.
The plaque is a later copy of an original, and has been translated as: “Tho ‘furious fire the old Town did consume, Stand this till all the world shall flaming fume.”
The four statues under the central gable above WH Smith, in the town centre.
Seated is King Canute surrounded by advisers. Under Cnut (Canute) reads: King Canute Rebuking His Flatterers.
The four statues are: Agricola, Edmund, Edward I and Edward VI.
With the exception of Agricola, all have links with Bury St Edmunds. Agricola (died. AD 93) commanded the 20th Legion in Britain in A.D. 77 before becoming governor and conquering most of the country.
King Cnut founded the Abbey of St Edmund.
Edward I exempted the Abbey from taxes and Edward VI founded the grammar school.
From 1903, Boots introduced a mock-Tudor style for shops on prominent sites, believed to be designed by Treleaven, to make them more attractive to the middle classes.
Treleaven was the 'in-house' Boot architect early 20th Century. The shops on prominent sites included 'Venetian' oriel windows, mock timber framing and statues of prominent historic figures.
The Bury shop is a reworking of Treleaven's 1905 shop front for Winchester.
And the building museum staff are most asked about.
A hoist on the back of Moyse’s Hall, Brentgovel Street.
Something of a mystery, museum staff say it dates to the turn of the twentieth century (Fin de siècle).
It could have been placed there by Montgomery’s Cycle and Motor-Cycle Shop which occupied that spot around that time.
The motor-cycle side-car is rumoured to have been invented at the back of Moyse’s Hall.
For more on the history of Bury St Edmunds visit: Bury St Edmunds Association of Registered Tour Guides
For more from the town museum, visit: Moyse's Hall Museum