Home   Bury St Edmunds   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Cat who swallowed 50 hair bands saved by Bury St Edmunds vets

More news, no ads


Pixel, a one-year-old cat, brushed with death after swallowing more than 50 hair bands.

Her owners took her to Eastgate Veterinary practice, in Bury St Edmunds, after she fell ill one evening.

An examination revealed the cat had a sizeable obstruction in her stomach.

During surgery, vets were surprised to find a large ball of hair bobbles inside her stomach, which was causing the blockage in her stomach.

Blossom Fox, one of Pixel's owners, said the hair accessories belonged to her and her two daughters, three-year-old Felicity and one-year-old Bonnie.

The Fox family with Pixel the cat (9211289)
The Fox family with Pixel the cat (9211289)

She said: "Pixel would always come up to see us before we went to bed and we noticed she seemed solemn one evening.

“She started to vomit a little, so we took her out of the room. However, in the morning she wasn’t well at all, so we had to rush her to the vets.We couldn’t believe it when the vets told us they had removed 50 hair bands from her stomach."

The cat was given medication and released for the hospital. She has since made a full recovery.

Hannah Pinnock, veterinary surgeon at the vets, said: "We see all sorts of cases of pets eating things they shouldn’t, but it’s very unusual for a cat to swallow this number of foreign bodies.

“This is a case of pica, where cats are attracted to eating objects that are not food. If you have a cat in the household it is worthwhile to keep items like ribbons, shoelaces or hair bands out of the way.”