Bury St Edmunds fireworks display organisers 'gutted' at decision to cancel but call on businesses to back charity Christmas sleigh run
A massive Bury St Edmunds fireworks display which raises thousands of pounds for charities and good causes has been cancelled due to uncertainty over coronavirus.
Organisers Bury St Edmunds Round Table say they are ‘gutted’ they had to make the decision to call off the event scheduled for November 7 in the Abbey Gardens.
However, they are pressing ahead with their Santa Sleigh Run in the town and surrounding area and considering extending it to raise more funds for charities.
In previous years, the fireworks display has attracted between 3,000 to 6,000 people and can raise sums ranging from £5,000 to £20,000.
Dan Rogers, chairman of Bury St Edmunds Round Table, said: “We’re obviously really disappointed as it’s our biggest fund-raiser for the year.
“We’re gutted as a group that we’re not going to be able to support financially as many people as we’ve done previously. It’s not a decision we’ve taken lightly.
“As much as it’s about putting on a show, it’s about raising money. We have a charity hand out where we invite those who’ve received money and they tell us their stories. Seeing those people and hearing those stories - that’s what makes the difference to us as a group.”
He said it was only the second time they had been forced to cancel the display after it was called off in 2018 due to strong winds.
Mr Rogers urged people to support the Santa Sleigh Run, which is usually over five nights in December but could be extended to a second week. They are calling on businesses to sponsor an evening, which sees the business match whatever is raised to benefit a charity of their choice.
To support the event, contact Bury St Edmunds Round Table via their Facebook page or on Twitter @BurystEdsRT.