Latest cadre of recruits sworn in at RAF Honington
There was extra cause for celebration at RAF Honington yesterday as the 12 latest members of El Alamein Flight were sworn in with family members present - the first time they have been allowed to attend a graduation in over a year.
Two members per family were able to join their loved ones after a year with graduations being held without an audience due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
It was not just family members who were there in-person either.
The RAF Honington Voluntary Band was also present for the first time since the start of the pandemic.
Air Officer Commanding 2 Group, AVM Alan Gillespie CBE MA BSc (Hons) RAF attended as reviewing officer during his visit to the Station for the Annual Formal Inspection.
"I am very proud to be here to welcome the trainee gunners of El Alamein Flight into the RAF Regiment and particularly pleased to welcome all the families and friends that have travelled to RAF Honington today," he said.
"Those who stand on the parade square today have demonstrated determination, commitment, teamwork and diligence.
"By choosing to become a member of the RAF they are electing a life of service.
"They are choosing to put others before themselves, be it colleagues, those who they command or the vulnerable that need their help and protection.
"I urge them to seize all the opportunities this unique career offers and wish them the best of luck.
"I trust they will continue to grow and act as ambassadors for the RAF and the RAF Regiment in all they do."
Further congratulations was given to a select few prize winners including:
- LAC Morris, given the Frank Sylvester Trophy as the best all-round trainee gunner.
- LAC Simpson, given the RAF Regt Association Trophy for Drill and Deportment, awarded to the trainee who has developed an excellent military deportment, assessed both on and off duty, on the parade square and, most importantly during field exercises.
- LAC Milano, given the Ramsey Physical Development Cup, awarded to the trainee gunner who shows the greatest improvement during the physical development course.
- LAC Flood, given the Beard Recruits' Trophy, awarded to the gunner who has been voted by his peers on the course as the most inspirational and supportive member of the Flight.
- LAC Milano, given the Luders Champion Shot Trophy, awarded to the trainee who has shot consistently well throughout the course.
- Cpl Garwood, given the Corporal Bradfield Trophy, an award given to the Corporal Instructor who has displayed leadership, motivation and above all else has set an exemplary standard for the recruits to follow.