Home   Bury St Edmunds   News   Article

Subscribe Now

New home approved at site of fire-hit cottages in Hengrave, near Bury St Edmunds





Permission has been granted for a new family home to be built to replace one of those damaged when fire ripped through a terrace of thatched cottages in Hengrave, near Bury St Edmunds, last year.

West Suffolk Council planners have approved plans for a replacement home at 10 Mill Road along with alterations to a party wall with 17 Bury Road.

A terrace of thatched cottages was engulfed by flames in the early hours of January 25, 2023, with the blaze battled by the crews of 14 fire engines from across the county.

A Hengrave fire in January 2023. Picture: Cameron Reid
A Hengrave fire in January 2023. Picture: Cameron Reid

Distraught residents watched their homes in flames as blaze took hold of Hengrave cottages.

Neighbours were evacuated from their homes

Plans were submitted to demolish the existing fire-damaged home and build a replacement at 10 Mill Road, while detaching it from the adjoining listed building at 17 Bury Road.

Number 17 is part of a terrace of four properties – all listed buildings – destroyed by the fire.

A heritage, design and access statement submitted to the council said these properties were subject to an application to Historic England for de-listing due to ‘the degree of devastation’.

The new home will be a two storey, two-bedroom detached building, with the adjoining property enclosed and protected as required.

The new home will be larger in floor area and ridge height than the existing.

A planning statement said: “Due to the uncertainty over the future of the adjoining listed building, this property must be detached to enable it to be rebuilt and continue as a family home.”

Planners say the work must start within the next three years.