Home   Bury St Edmunds   News   Article

Man taken to hospital after huge fire service response to chemical-related incident in Great Ashfield




A man was taken to hospital following a chemical-related incident near Bury St Edmunds which attracted a huge response from the fire service.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to the incident at a site, off Haugh Lane, in Great Ashfield, by the ambulance service at 9am.

A fire service spokesman said there was a leak from a chemical drum containing formaldehyde and 14 crews were called, with 12 attending.

Twelve fire crews attended the incident in Great Ashfield
Twelve fire crews attended the incident in Great Ashfield

A Suffolk Police spokesman said they were called at 9.15am and a man had inhaled fumes during the incident.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said the man was taken to West Suffolk Hospital for further assessment and care.

An ambulance and two ambulance officer vehicles attended.

A small cordon was initially set up around the area but taken down when it was assessed there was no threat to the public.

The incident was dealt with by 10.47am.

Read more: All the latest news from Suffolk