Talks are under way after Travellers move from base in Bury St Edmunds to an 'illegal encampment' in Rougham
Talks are under way with a liaison service after a family of Travellers left a site where they had been allowed to stay – and set up an ‘illegal encampment’ elsewhere.
The family had been based on land, off Compiegne Way, Bury St Edmunds,which was provided by the former St Edmundsbury Borough Council in 2014.
The arrangement was designed to be temporary while preparations were made on a site on Rougham Hill for which the family hold planning permission.
However, the family left the site last week and moved to the Rougham Hill lorry park, which is an ‘illegal encampment’ on a site owned and managed by the Suffolk County Council.
The council is now in talks with the Norfolk & Suffolk Gypsy, Roma and Traveller Service to help resolve the issue.
The organisation provides assistance to landowners to manage unauthorised encampments on their land.
It also manages traveller sites on behalf of other local authorities.
A spokesperson for Suffolk County Council, said: “A meeting was held on Wednesday with partners to discuss this situation.
“Partners included the Norfolk and Suffolk Gypsy, Roma, Traveller Service, West Suffolk Council, Highways England and the planning agent.
“Work continues with West Suffolk Council to allow the family to move onto nearby land.
"It is hoped this will be resolved quickly.”
West Suffolk Council has requested the family returns to the Compiegne Way site but they have ‘declined’ to do so.
A West Suffolk Council spokesperson said: “The family has planning permission for a site at Rougham Hill and work is continuing in preparation for their move there. The tolerated site remains available to them until such time as the Rougham Hill site is ready.“