Home   Bury St Edmunds   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Bury St Edmunds Nostalgia - Little Susie, 4, was an accidental 'fire starter'



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


In 1972, we featured little Susie Trowles, aged four, who had a lucky escape after she accidentally set fire to her living room.

Two months prior she had destroyed £60 – bonfire style.

And on the Saturday of that week’s edition of SuffolkNews' sister title the Bury Free Press, we reported how she set fire to the living room of her home.

Susie Trowles
Susie Trowles

Susie – daughter of Mr and Mrs Michael Trowles, of Short Brackland, Bury St Edmunds – was alone in the room at the time.

Mr Trowles said: “Suddenly I heard Susie screaming and rushed in to find the living room in flames. I picked her up and carried her out.

“It’s not the first time she’s set something alight. Two months ago she threw £60 on the fire that we were saving for car repairs.”

The fire caused about £300 worth of damage.

It happened while Susie's mother was out shopping and her dad, who ran B. R. Trowles Demolitions Ltd, was having a word with one of his mechanics.