Home   Bury St Edmunds   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Bury St Edmunds Nostalgia - Princess Royal presents new colours to the Red Cross Suffolk branch



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


In 1952, Bury St Edmunds gave the Princess Royal a right royal welcome when she visited to present new colours to the Red Cross Suffolk branch.

H.R.H. Princess Royal – Princess Mary – had been staying in Suffolk with the High Sheriff (Mr. T. M. Bland) at Copdock, near Ipswich, and as she motored to Bury she was warmly received by residents, who gathered in the various villages and at other points along the route.

Having been met at the county boundary by the Chief Constable of West Suffolk (Mr. W. J. Ridd), the Princess lunched at Everards Hotel, in Bury St Edmunds, with the Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk (the Earl of Stradbroke), the Mayor of Bury (Ald. G. H. Pemberton), the President of the Suffolk Red Cross (the Duchess of Grafton), the Deputy Presidents (the Countess of Stradbroke and Lady Rowley) and other guests.

Accompanied by the Bishop, the Duchess of Grafton, the Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk, H.R.H Princess Royal walks up Crown Street to St Mary's Church where she showed great interest in its many features
Accompanied by the Bishop, the Duchess of Grafton, the Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk, H.R.H Princess Royal walks up Crown Street to St Mary's Church where she showed great interest in its many features
The Chief Constable of West Suffolk Mr W. J. Ridd is presented to the Princess Royal
The Chief Constable of West Suffolk Mr W. J. Ridd is presented to the Princess Royal

Mr. F. W. Lummis, Newmarket Commandant, was in charge of the guard of honour of the Red Cross men and women outside the cathedral, where the dedication and presentation of the new colours, the gift of Sir Edward Warner, the county director, took place in the afternoon.