Bury St Edmunds Cornhill Post Office redevelopment nears completion as scaffolding taken down
The changing face of the former Post Office site, in Bury St Edmunds, is starting to reveal itself as scaffolding surrounding the redevelopment comes down.
The St Andrew's Street South view of the project – to transform 16/17 Cornhill into commercial units and apartments with a wider Market Thoroughfare link between the Arc and the town centre – can now be seen.
Meanwhile, the entire scheme is nearing completion and should be finished late summer.
Once finished, it will:
- protect the Victorian Cornhill front while bringing it back into economic use and improving accessibility
- create a new commercial front on to St Andrew's Street South, better connecting the historic town centre with the arc shopping centre
- widen the Market Thoroughfare walkway at ground-floor level by more than 50 per cent, encouraging footfall between the historic town centre and the arc
- deliver two new ground floor commercial units, with 12 flats above
- benefit from energy efficiency measures including new windows, solar panels and an air source heat pump