Home   Bury St Edmunds   News   Article

Subscribe Now

SuffolkNews Podcast: Growing concerns over 'dangerous' Mildenhall Hub entrance after two vehicles damaged





Up first, after two cars were damaged, concerns are growing over a ‘dangerous’ entrance to a Suffolk community hub and school, with parents particularly anxious for their children's safety.

Wide vehicles like coaches, struggle to get in and out of the Mildenhall Hub’s Sheldrick Way entrance when there is oncoming traffic, and it often results in them mounting the footpath.

West District Cllr Andy Neal, who represents the Queensway ward, said: “People should not have to be put at risk for two years before they (Suffolk Highways) admit they have got this entrance wrong.”

Next, two men have been charged in relation to multiple thefts of cable, worth approximately £1 million.

On Tuesday, Essex police arrested three men following an investigation into 25 thefts in Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Essex.

The cable stolen does not include the impact on the public and businesses.

One man was released on bail while the other two are to set to appear at Chelmsford Crown Court in October.

Also, on Monday, over a hundred, anxious and infuriated residents, filled Newmarket’s memorial hall on Monday to voice their devastation at Stagecoach East’s plans to axe vital bus services linking the town to Cambridge, Bury St Edmunds, and Ely.

It was the biggest public turnout seen at a town council meeting for many years and those who spoke did not hold back.

They told councillors without the bus lines their lives would be devastated and that the bus services were their lifelines.

And finally, a family who lost almost everything, has been able to get back on their feet thanks to a heartwarming response from the community, after a fire tore through their rented house in Haverhill.

The fire broke out at the home of Piotrek, and Justyna Kolataj in Cambridge Way last bank holiday Monday morning.

The couple, along with their three children, and two dogs escaped unharmed but, with the exception of their mobile phones, passports and some documents, they lost everything they had.

An Facebook appeal was created and a gofundme fund-raising account was set up to help the family, with over £2,220 raised so far.