Home   Business News   Article

Subscribe Now

Bury St Edmunds immigration law specialist Sohan Sidhu describes latest passport rule changes

More news, no ads


From this week, those travelling with an EU, EEA or Swiss national identity card will no longer be able to enter the UK without presenting a valid passport on arrival.

It is also be noted that the passport must be valid for the entirety of the stay in the UK.

There are exemptions which will allow certain EU, EEA and Swiss nationals to continue using their national identity card in order to travel to the UK up until at least December 31, 2025, provided they come within one of the current Home Office exemptions.

Sohan Sidhu, of Ellisons
Sohan Sidhu, of Ellisons

Therefore, if they hold Settled or Pre-Settled Status under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS), then they can enter the UK using the same ID document which they used when they applied under the Home Office EUSS.

If they applied to the EUSS before the scheme deadline, namely June 30, 2021, but have not, as yet, received a decision upon their application, then they can continue to use their National Identity card while their application remains pending.

If the EU, EEA or Swiss national has been issued with an EUSS family permit, they can enter the UK using their National Identity card after today and once they enter the UK, they will be able to make an application under the Home Office EUSS in order to remain here after their family permit expires.


There are a number of other exemptions which also apply enabling certain EU, EEA and Swiss nationals to be able to continue using their National Identity card to travel to the UK and it is important to seek advice prior to travel to check whether another exemption applies.

-- For advice on this or any other immigration matter, contact Sohan Sidhu by email at sohan.sidhu@ellisonssolicitors.com or by telephone on 01284 763333

Read more: Business news and opinion from around Suffolk