Home   Business News   Article

Subscribe Now

Solicitor Sohan Sidhu, from Ellisons, explains new rules for employing overseas graduates

More news, no ads


On 1 July 2021, the Home Office introduced a new Graduate visa route for the UK.

This route is for those overseas students who have completed a qualifying course from a recognised UK university and will allow them to live and work in the UK for at least two years.

There are a number of eligibility criteria and these include the applicant already being in the UK and holding a Student visa and also having successfully completed a qualifying degree course from a recognised UK university.

Sohan Sidhu, of Ellisons Solicitors
Sohan Sidhu, of Ellisons Solicitors

There are a number of advantages for employers with the introduction of this new route.

Employers may employ Graduate visa holders in the UK without needing to obtain a Home Office Sponsor Licence and go through the comprehensive sponsor licensing criteria.

However, once the applicant has been in the UK for a period of two years, then subject to meeting the qualifying criteria at the time of application, they may be able to switch within the UK to a Skilled Worker visa in order to continue their ability to work in the UK but at that stage, they will need to be working for a Home Office licensed employer.

Ellisons Solicitors
Ellisons Solicitors

Many businesses will welcome the introduction of this new visa route although, arguably, it is simply a replacement of a similar route which the Home Office previously had in place and which was called the Tier 1 (Post Study) visa.

The Home Office position is that UK employers should now be able to hire the brightest graduates and talent from overseas.

-- For advice on this or any other immigration matter, please do not hesitate to contact Sohan Sidhu by email at sohan.sidhu@ellisonssolicitors.com or by telephone on 01284 763333

Read more: Business news and opinion from around Suffolk