Home   Haverhill   News   Article

Court told Haverhill man found carrying a knife exposed himself to an officer and attacked motorist and their vehicles

More news, no ads


A 25-year-old man has been denied bail after admitting to a string of serious offences committed over the course of a single day.

Lucas Alves, of Abington Place, Haverhill, was arrested at the town's Tesco on December 6.

Police had been alerted to Alves that afternoon, after receiving reports of a man damaging vehicles and assaulting a member of the public along Chalkstone Way.

Suffolk Magistrates Court in Ipswich. Picture by Mark Westley
Suffolk Magistrates Court in Ipswich. Picture by Mark Westley

On December 9, Alves pleaded guilty to a string of charges, including indecent exposure, criminal damage, use of threatening, abusive or insulting words to cause harassment, alarm or distress, possession of a bladed article and racially or religiously aggravated fear or provocation of violence by words or writing against four individuals.

During a sentencing hearing at Suffolk Magistrates' Court today, prosecutor Lesla Small said Alves was heard making a set of racial remarks on the scene.

The offender attempted to strike one victim with a bottle as he waited in stationary traffic, added Ms Small.

He then tried to rip his wing mirror off, before throwing the bottle, and a pair of headphones, into the car.

These items were subsequently recovered by investigators, who used them to identify Alves as the assailant.

Alves also approached other drivers, hurling abuse and attacking their vehicles.

The young daughter of one victim was left in a state of distress after Alves set upon the car they were waiting in, while another witness said that he hand-gestured a gun at her.

Police attended Chalkstone Way around 5.15pm, but were unable to detain Alves until later in the evening at Tesco.

He was found in possession of a rucksack, in which was contained a kitchen knife and a hammer.

After Alves' arrest he exposed himself to a female officer en route to Bury St Edmunds police investigation centre for questioning.

The officer said the offender made demeaning remarks about her during the episode, as well as urinating in the police vehicle.

He also urinated in his cell at the station, and tried to block the toilet with a blanket provided to him.

During questioning, Alves initially denied being the Chalkstone Way assailant, but police found him wearing the same clothes as a man seen in mobile phone footage of the incident.

Owing to the severity of the offences, magistrates sent Alves to Ipswich Crown Court for sentencing, and he remains in custody after being denied bail.

For information on how we can report on court proceedings, click here