Home   Haverhill   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Haverhill Borough claim all three points with victory at league's basement side Wisbech St Mary

Haverhill Borough belied their place near the bottom of the Thurlow Nunn League First Division North with a convincing victory in Wisbech St Mary on Saturday.

On a bitterly cold day in north Cambridgeshire, on a ground at times shrouded in fog, they bounced back from a 1-0 half time deficit to win the game with two late goals, which completed a hat-trick for striker Tom Thulborn.

The victory saw them remain in 16th in the table but, on this showing, they should be looking up rather than down.

Action from Wisbech St Mary v Haverhill Borough.
Action from Wisbech St Mary v Haverhill Borough.

Against a team starting to show shoots of recovery after a wretched start to the season, Borough started brightly and Ryan Phillips shot just wide after eight minutes.

The home side then created two or three chances before Thulborn went close for the visitors, seeing his lob clawed away by home keeper Dan Smith.

Harry Farrow then saw a fierce shot well saved before Ryan Swallow fired a 30th minute effort just wide.

Action from Wisbech St Mary v Haverhill Borough.
Action from Wisbech St Mary v Haverhill Borough.

But after 38 minutes the Borough defence opened up and Saints hot shot Corey Kingston was able to weave through them and blast the home side into the lead.

Back came Borough straight away and Farrow and Victor Garcia both had efforts saved by the home keeper before they unluckily trudged off 1-0 down at half time.

The visitors were firing on all cylinders at the start of the second period and scored within three minutes, Thulborn the first to pounce after home keeper Smith made yet another fine save, this time to deny Swallow.

As the fog thickened both teams rather lost their shape and a great first half was replaced by quite a turgid affair for 20 minutes or so. But with ten minutes remaining, the weather brightened up and so did Borough’s attack, substitute Ryan Kent running down the left and crossing for the predatorial Thulborn to nab his second of the afternoon.

The home team now pushed up looking for a late equaliser and left holes at the back which Borough exploited well, another cross from the left finding that man Thulborn, who gleefully slotted home his hat-trick goal in injury time.

Borough: Young, Shulver, Carter, Martin, Gleeson (Peterson), Garcia, Phillips, Bone, Thulborn, Swallow, Farrow (Kent).

Man of the Match: Tom Thulborn