Home   Ipswich   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Detectives probing fatal stabbing in Oldham arrest murder suspect in Suffolk

More news, no ads


Detectives investigating the fatal stabbing of a man in Oldham town centre the early hours of Saturday morning have arrested a murder suspect in the Ipswich area overnight.

A 31-year-old man from Rochdale was detained with support from officers from Suffolk Constabulary and he is expected to arrive at a Greater Manchester custody site shortly for questioning.

Investigators believe the suspect was known to the victim and are not looking for anyone else.

A man has been arrested in the Ipswich area. Stock image
A man has been arrested in the Ipswich area. Stock image

Greater Manchester Major Incident Team has been conducting a number of fast-paced and extensive lines of inquiry since it was reported at around 4.20am on Saturday May 28 that a man had suffered serious suspected stab wounds on Union Street, in Oldham town centre.

The man was taken to hospital in a critical condition before he was sadly pronounced dead on arrival.

While formal identification has not yet taken place, police believe the victim is a man in his 40s from Oldham and that he suffered several stab wounds - including fatally to the chest.

The arrest is the second one made by detectives, after a man in his 30s was previously detained and has since been eliminated from the inquiry after being questioned on suspicion of murder.

Specially-trained officers are continuing to work to support the victim’s family.

Detective Superintendent Simon Hurst said: “This is an extensive and complex investigation that has moved at some pace in the last 24 hours as our team of detectives continue to piece together the circumstances that has led to a man so tragically losing his life after a night out.

“We’ve spoken to some key witnesses so far who have been assisting us with our enquiries, and this has led to us arresting a local man who we believe had travelled down to the Ipswich area after this incident, before now being detained and brought back up to Greater Manchester.

“At this stage we are not looking for anybody else in connection to this fatal incident, but I do want anybody who has seen or heard anything that could be of importance to contact us so that we can ensure that all available lines of inquiry continue to be followed so that the man responsible is brought to justice.”

Anyone with information is urged to contact police via the Greater Manchester Police LiveChat function on our website, or by calling 101 quoting incident 501 of 28/05/2022.

Details can be passed anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.