Home   Ipswich   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Ipswich plans for Hopkins Homes and Barratt David Wilson to build 660 houses off Humber Doucy Lane submitted





Plans to build hundreds of homes on the outskirts of Ipswich have been submitted – half a year since a consultation into the development launched.

Hopkins Homes and Barratt David Wilson Homes hope to build as many as 660 homes on land off Humber Doucy Lane.

Three parcels of land which run between Seven Cottages Lane and the railway line next to Tuddenham Road and behind Westerfield House were earmarked for the project after the developers bought the site.

The propsed area for development. Picture: Google
The propsed area for development. Picture: Google

Formal plans were submitted to Ipswich Borough Council last month. It was originally expected that 600 homes would be built on the site.

Planning documents said 400 square metres would be allocated for non-residential developments, including community spaces, sport and play areas and a facility for early years care.

At the centre of the new estate would sit a central open green space and there would be new walking and cycling routes. A green buffer zone would surround the development, particularly on the Humber Doucy Lane side.

During the first consultation, which ran from October to November, Matt Ward, the land and planning director for Hopkins Homes, said the project would deliver much-needed homes to the area.

According to Hopkins Homes and Barratt David Wilson’s vision, it also aims to increase pedestrian safety for the road – which people in the area complain is often used as a rat-run.

It was estimated that about 30 per cent of homes would be affordable, the applicant said.

SuffolkNews spoke with residents of Ipswich to hear their thoughts when the plans were announced, with some expressing concerns while others thought the homes were needed.

However, part of the proposed land overlaps with space used by Ipswich Rugby Club, with questions raised about its future at the site.

The developers now own the two pitches at the front of its grounds.

Vehicle access to the site from the Sidegate Lane junction was considered but deemed unsafe due to close proximity to the rugby club’s grounds.

Access has since been proposed from the junction of Inverness Road and bus routes could be extended to offer public transport for residents living in the new homes.

The new estate would be located near Ipswich Garden Suburb, formerly the Northern Fringe, containing the under-construction Henley Gate development.

A new primary and secondary schools have been proposed at Henley Gate.

Hopkins Homes and Barratt David Wilson said about 70 per cent of the proposed site sits within Ipswich’s borough, while the remaining 30 per cent is in East Suffolk.

The applicant added: “Our core priority is to develop a well-connected new neighbourhood within the context of the wider planned development guided by the existing landscape and historic character.

“The proposed neighbourhood will create a locally distinctive and sustainable community, set within a network of open spaces and mature planting.

“A high-quality landscape-led environment will assist in fostering a sense of place within the new neighbourhood, making it an attractive place for people to live.”