Home   Ipswich   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Alazar Yohans jailed after sexually assaulting woman twice in one night in Ipswich

A ‘predator’ who sexually assaulted a woman twice in the same night has been jailed.

Alazar Yohans, of no fixed address, was handed a three year sentence at Ipswich Crown Court on Wednesday.

He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault after a four-day trial on March 28 but found not guilty of a third charge.

Alazar Yohans has been jailed. Picture: Suffolk Police
Alazar Yohans has been jailed. Picture: Suffolk Police

Yohans lied about his age, claiming to be 18, but the Home Office determined he was between 27 and 32.

Both assaults were against one victim, a woman in her 30s, the court was told.

The first incident was outside a bar in Ipswich town centre at about 1.30am, where Yohans kissed the victim without her consent.

The victim then told her partner, who confronted Yohans inside the bar.

The court was shown CCTV footage of this attack.

The court heard how Yohans left the same bar at 1.50pm and loitered outside. Shortly after the victim and her partner left in the direction of Stoke Bridge via St Peter’s Street.

Yohans and his friend followed them.

The victim became separated from her partner, with Yohans and his friend in pursuit.

It was in the vicinity of Luther Road and Rectory Road where Yohans approached the victim and put his hand down her trousers.

Footage from an address in Rectory Road picked up audio where the victim told Yohans to leave her alone.

The victim managed to get away to phone the police.

Officers tracked Yohans to Maidenhall Approach, where he was arrested at 3.35am.

He was charged with sexual assault on October 5 and made his first court appearance that same day.

In addition to his sentence, Yohans was forced to sign the Sex Offender Register for life and was given a 10 year Sexual Harm Prevention Order.

Det Con Liam Theobald, of the South Safeguarding Investigation Unit, described Yohans as a predator.

“Not content with forcefully kissing the victim inside the bar, his very deliberate actions of following her as she walked home and then waiting for her to be on her own before subjecting her to an even more serious sexual assault, clearly demonstrate his mindset,” he said.

“I would like to pay tribute to the victim for her bravery and commitment to working with us throughout the investigation to ensure we achieved this conviction, and also thank the Independent Sexual Violence Adviser (ISVA) who supported the victim through this process.

“Women should feel safe to go for a night out and walk home without being subjected to attacks such as this. I hope this outcome underlines Suffolk Police’s commitment to prosecuting sex offenders and also that it will encourage anyone else who is a victim of this type of offence to come forward.”