Home   Ipswich   News   Article

Subscribe Now

These are some of the people with Suffolk links who have been sentenced in courts during October



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


It has been a busy month for courts, with sentences handed out to dozens of people across the county.

While some were punished for more minor offences, others received long jail terms for the more serious of crimes - including burglaries and rape.

These are the people with Suffolk links who faced justice during the last month.

These people have been sentenced in Suffolk in October 2021
These people have been sentenced in Suffolk in October 2021

Taxi driver who raped 13-year-old girl jailed

Mark Ryan, 50, formerly of St James' Court in Haverhill, was jailed after he was found guilty of raping a girl when she was just 13 years old.

The taxi driver was sentenced to seven years and eight months in prison at Ipswich Crown Court.

Ryan, who was 39 when the attack happened in 2009, was found guilty by a jury in September of two counts of oral rape and one of assault by penetration.

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture by Mark Westley
Ipswich Crown Court. Picture by Mark Westley

The victim told the court of the devastating impact the attack had on her, and Judge Emma Peters told Ryan his actions had taken the victim's childhood away from her.

He has also been ordered to sign the sex offenders register and has been handed a restraining order.

Disqualified van driver who killed 95-year-old war veteran jailed

Ricardas Prismantas, 54, of Northampton, was jailed for knocking over and killing a Second World War hero as he crossed the road to do his weekly shopping.

Ex-paratrooper Alonzo Smart, 95, suffered a serious head injury and broken ribs before he died a month after the incident outside a supermarket in Fordham's Carter Street.

Van driver Prismantas told officers he 'didn't notice' the pensioner walking with a small shopping trolley when he hit him while driving his van at around 10mph on December 2, 2019.

Ricardas Prismantas, who was jailed for knocking over and killing a war hero. Picture: Cambridgeshire Police
Ricardas Prismantas, who was jailed for knocking over and killing a war hero. Picture: Cambridgeshire Police

Prismantas was initially handed a non-custodial sentence for careless driving and driving while disqualified a week after the incident just outside Newmarket.

But Mr Smart, who became a carpenter after his military career, died on January 2, 2020, of bronchopneumonia due to his injuries suffered in the crash.

Prismantas, who was uninsured and disqualified from driving at the time of the collision, pleaded guilty to all charges at Cambridge Crown Court on August 20.

In mitigation, his lawyer said Prismantas had been left crushed by the collision and he was genuinely remorseful.

He was sentenced to one year in prison and disqualified from driving for 18 months.

Burglar who targeted woman, 70, handed custodial sentence

Lewis Falco, 20, formerly of Bridge End Road in Red Lodge, was handed a 28-month prison sentence for burgling the home of a 70-year-old woman.

But as Falco had already spent 59 weeks behind bars by the time he was sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court, for the burglary of the woman's Barrow home last year, he was set to be released soon after.

He admitted the offence, alongside three counts of fraud by misrepresentation, at magistrates' court last year.

Lewis Falco was handed a jail sentence for burgling a 70-year-old woman. Picture: Suffolk Police
Lewis Falco was handed a jail sentence for burgling a 70-year-old woman. Picture: Suffolk Police

Half of the 28-month sentence was to be served under licence, and, as a result, Falco was to be released imminently but under a series of stipulations.

Some of those included attending a probation hostel, abiding by a monitoring curfew, and regular drug and alcohol tests.

Falco was also ordered to pay £95 compensation to the victim.

Robber who stole £2,000 worth of teenager's belongings after threatening him with screwdriver jailed

Nicholas Everett, 32, of London Road South in Lowestoft, was jailed for four years for threatening a teenager with a screwdriver and stealing £2,000 worth of his belongings.

Ipswich Crown Court heard that Everett approached a 17-year-old boy on Yarmouth Road on the evening of June 9 and pressed a screwdriver against the victim's chest and neck.

During the robbery, he stole the boy's mountain bike, iPhone, ear pods, bag and contents, which included cards.

Nicholas Everett, of Lowestoft, was jailed for four years. Picture: Suffolk Police
Nicholas Everett, of Lowestoft, was jailed for four years. Picture: Suffolk Police

At the court hearing, Everett also asked for a robbery in Saxmundham in May 2020, when he stole a mountain bike from Station Approach after threatening a man with a screwdriver, to be taken into consideration.

Man who was involved in 235 drug deals in four days jailed

Andrei Mihai, 23, of Crossness Road, Barking, was jailed for two and a half years in connection with County Lines drug offences.

Mihai, who was involved in 235 drug deals over a four-day period in Ipswich, was sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court.

He had pleaded guilty at Ipswich Magistrates Court to possession with intent to supply cocaine and being concerned in the supply of cocaine.

Andrei Mihai, 23, has been jailed for two-and-a-half-years. Picture: Suffolk Police
Andrei Mihai, 23, has been jailed for two-and-a-half-years. Picture: Suffolk Police

Mihai also admitted driving without insurance and to driving otherwise than in accordance with his licence.

During the investigation, police discovered Mihai had been involved in 235 drug deals over a four-day period, as well as 910 messages concerning drugs on a mobile phone.

Two of town's key heroin and cocaine dealers jailed after major operation

Wayne Scullion, 29, of Newson Street, Ipswich, and Arnoldas Miglinas, 21, of Station Street, Ipswich, were jailed for drug offences in the town.

The pair were sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court for being concerned in the supply of class A drugs in the town, namely crack cocaine and heroin, between April 1, 2020, and May 20, 2021.

Scullion was sentenced to seven and a half years in prison, while Miglinas was jailed for four and a half years.

Wayne Scullion and Arnoldas Miglinas were jailed for drug offences. Pictures: Suffolk Police
Wayne Scullion and Arnoldas Miglinas were jailed for drug offences. Pictures: Suffolk Police

Both men had pleaded guilty to the offences at previous hearings.

Miglinas also admitted an unrelated charge of aggravated burglary in Webb Street on March 8 this year and was given seven years, which will be served consecutively, making a total sentence of 11.5 years.

The sentences follow a police operation, known as Operation Broome, to tackle Class A drug dealing activities being committed in the Maple Park area.

Life sentence for attempted murder and kidnap of woman

Christopher Crichton, 33, of Park Street in Westcliff-on-Sea in Essex, was sentenced to life in prison for the attempted murder and kidnap of a woman.

Chrichton was handed a life-term, to serve a minimum of 15 years, at Norwich Crown Court after admitting the offences at a previous hearing.

Officers were called to reports a woman in her 20s had been seen in distress in the Yarmouth Road area of Kirby Cane, near Bungay, on April 26.

Christopher Crichton has been jailed for life
Christopher Crichton has been jailed for life

The woman was then seen being driven away from the address.

Suffolk Police later received reports a woman had been found with stab wounds in Levington Lane in Nacton.

The court heard that Crichton assaulted her that morning but she had returned to the address over fears he would harm her dog.

When she returned, Crichton repeatedly stabbed her in the leg and back on the driveway.

He then dragged the victim into a car, stating he was taking her to hospital but instead he drove her to Nacton and abandoned her in a lay-by.

The victim was discovered by a member of the public and airlifted to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge with serious injuries.

She received hospital treatment for two weeks following the incident and continues to receive treatment whilst recovering from her injuries.

Woman hit with £1,100 court bill for fly-tipped rubbish

Kirsty Marie Dunkley, formerly of Stirling Drive, Haverhill, who left her address in fly-tipped rubbish was ordered to pay £1,126 for allowing the waste to be improperly disposed.

Magistrates in Ipswich found the case proved against Dunkley, of failing in her householder duty of care.

The court heard that six black bags had been found fly-tipped in a country lane in Cowlinge near Haverhill in April 2019.

Ipswich Magistrates Court. Picture by Mark Westley
Ipswich Magistrates Court. Picture by Mark Westley

The bags contained household, packaging and food waste as well as other household items.

Although West Suffolk Council enforcement officers could not find evidence that Dunkley, now of Camps Road, had actually fly-tipped the bags herself, the magistrates concluded (in her absence) that she had failed in her householder duty of care to make sure the rubbish was disposed legally and found the case proved.

An application for costs was made by West Suffolk Council to the court which were granted by magistrates and included £300 for enforcement and £100 contribution towards litigation and licensing.

In addition to the £400 costs the magistrates fined Dunkley £660 and ordered her to pay a surcharge of £66.

Man who lived metres away from primary school caught with thousands of indecent images

Mark Hopcraft, 50, previously of Laureate Gardens, Newmarket, was handed a 10-month suspended sentence for possessing thousands of indecent images of children.

Hopcraft lived just metres away from a primary school when his ex-girlfriend found the photographs on his phone.

He was handed a suspended prison sentence at Ipswich Crown Court, having previously admitted three charges of possessing thousands of child abuse images.

Ipswich Crown Court
Ipswich Crown Court

The court heard that Hopcraft's three years of offending came to light in September 2018 when the illegal images were discovered on his phone.

Nicholas Wragg, mitigating, said since his offending, his client had contacted a charity that provides one-to-one therapy to address his behaviour.

Judge David Pugh, sentencing, told Hopcraft that 'people like him' caused children to be put in distressing situations.

He handed Hopcraft 10 months in prison for the images categorised as class A, six months for those categorised as class B and four months for those in class C, to run concurrently, suspended for 18 months.

Hopcraft was ordered to complete 150 hours of unpaid work and a rehabilitation activity requirement of up to 40 days, in addition to paying £150 in court costs.

Judge Pugh also imposed a sexual harm prevention order for 10 years, and ordered the three devices the images were found on to be forfeited and destroyed.

Man who shot wife and left her to die as he ate breakfast jailed

Peter Hartshorne-Jones, 52, of Barham, was handed a life sentence after he shot his wife and left her to die while he ate breakfast.

The registered gun dealer killed his wife of 10 years Silke, 42, in their home, shooting her twice in the early hours of May 3 last year.

Their eight-year-old twin sons were in the home at the time of the shooting.

Peter Hartshorne-Jones, who has today been jailed at Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: Suffolk Police
Peter Hartshorne-Jones, who has today been jailed at Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: Suffolk Police

Ipswich Crown Court heard it came after his mental health worsened during coronavirus lockdown.

Hartshorne-Jones denied murder at an earlier hearing, and the charge was dropped as prosecutors accepted his plea of manslaughter due to diminished responsibility.

This followed statements from forensic pscyhiatrists who agreed he had been suffering from an 'abnormality of mental function' due to a hypochondriac disorder with psychotic symptoms which had worsened during the lockdown.

Judge Martyn Levett handed Hartshorne-Jones a sentence of 16 years with a minimum of eight years.

Man who continued to play loud music after being handed notice to stop fined £2,000

David Learmonth, of Burnham Way, Lowestoft, was fined more than £2,000 for continuing to play loud music despite being given a notice to stop.

Learmonth was ordered to pay the fine at a hearing at Ipswich Magistrates Court, where he was also ordered to hand over his sound equipment.

The court found him guilty of breaching the Environmental Protection Act and failing to comply with an abatement notice served under the same act, in summer this year.

Ipswich Magistrates Court. Picture by Mark Westley
Ipswich Magistrates Court. Picture by Mark Westley

A spokeswoman for East Suffolk Council, which deals with nuisance noise, said Learmonth had attended the court but was denied entry to the hearing due to threatening behaviour towards staff earlier in the day, and the hearing continued in his absence.

The court fined Learmonth a total of £2,040 for the offences - £500 for two charges of breaching the abatement notice, £940 in costs and £100 for the victim surcharge.

It also ordered the forfeiture of his sound equipment, including a bass box, CDs, a sound bar and several sets of speakers.

For information on how we can report on court proceedings, click here

To get the latest updates in ongoing cases, police appeals and criminals put behind bars, click here

Read more: All the latest news from Suffolk