Home   Ipswich   News   Article

Suffolk's director of public health Stuart Keeble says county is not among 66 local authorities due to introduce mass testing




Suffolk is not among the 66 areas where mass coronavirus testing is to be rolled out, the county's health director has said.

Health secretary Matt Hancock confirmed on Monday that he had written to every director of public health in England to offer the new lateral flow tests - which have been used in the Liverpool mass testing pilot.

Speaking on Sky News on Tuesday, Mr Hancock said 66 local authorities had already expressed an interest in the tests and he was expecting more to sign up.

Stuart Keeble, Suffolk's director of public health
Stuart Keeble, Suffolk's director of public health

Stuart Keeble, director of Public Health Suffolk, said that while the county is not among the 66 authorities to take part in a mass testing programme, it will be given access to 'a significant number of tests' each week.

"This is a new announcement and we expect to learn more on Friday, especially clarification on the numbers of tests we may expect and the logistics of how this can be delivered locally," he said.

“The use of the lateral flow devices to test coronavirus, with results coming back within the hour, will be an extremely valuable asset in fighting the virus.

"I look forward to learning more about the roll-out and the benefit this programme will undoubtedly bring to Suffolk.”

To keep up-to-date with all the latest developments with your local hospitals and other health stories, click here.

Read more: All the latest news from Suffolk