Home   Ipswich   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Reason behind ban handed to Ipswich Town Women defender Lucy Egan revealed

More news, no ads


An FA report has revealed Ipswich Town Women defender Lucy Egan swore at a referee and slapped their hand following the full-time whistle in their defeat to Portsmouth.

It was confirmed yesterday that Egan had been handed a 162-day suspension and charged with a breach of conduct, following the incident on May 10.

And in a report seen by Suffolk News, the reason behind the ban has been revealed.

Ipswich Town Women's defender Lucy Egan. Picture: Ross Halls
Ipswich Town Women's defender Lucy Egan. Picture: Ross Halls

The Tractor Girls lost the game 1-0 and following the full-time whistle in their Southern Premier League clash, Egan approached the referee and called him 'a f*****g p***k', before slapping his hand. The referee immediately issued a red card to the defender.

The incident was subsequently reported to the Suffolk FA, who reported it to the national Football Association.

Egan was charged with a breach of FA rule E3, which states: "A participant shall at all times act in the best interests of the game and shall not act in any manner which is improper or brings the game into disrepute or use anyone, or a combination of, violent conduct, serious foul play, threatening, abusive,indecent or insulting words or behaviour."

She accepted the charge, and opted for a personal hearing for the sanction.

At the hearing, Egan said her behaviour was 'out of character' and a 'one-off reaction, done in the heat of the moment'.

Her manager Joe Sheehan and the corporate club secretary Stuart Hayton both spoke positively of the defender and agreed it was 'out of character'.

An FA statement said: "Ipswich Town Women FC’s Lucy Egan has been suspended from all football activities for a period of 218 days, fined £75 and ordered to complete face-to-face education by a National Serious Case Panel of The FA for a breach of FA Rule E3.

"The defender accepted a charge for improper conduct against a match official (including physical contact or attempted physical contact and threatening and/or abusive language/behaviour) and opted for a personal hearing."

The period of suspension was backdated to 10 May 2022, and is comprised of a 126 day suspension for the accepted charge plus a period of 92 days for the off-season period.

Egan is one of several players who have been retained by the club for the 2022/23 season.

A statement on the departing released players said: "Ipswich Town Football Club would like to place on record it's gratitude to the departing players for their commitment, dedication, hard work, and contribution throughout their time at the club.

​"They will always be held in the highest regard and be recognised for playing their part in largely successful time for Ipswich Town.

"We wish them the very best and utmost success for the future."