Ipswich Town matches behind closed doors: how do I watch them and what is the iFollow service?
With Ipswich Town’s season kicking off this weekend with the Carabao (EFL) Cup first round tie against Bristol Rovers at Portman Road on Saturday, the club has answered the questions you need to know with how you can follow the action in 2020/21 and what it will be like.
It begins with looking at how season ticket holders can watch home games live while football is played behind closed doors or with reduced capacities and how non-season ticket holders can also follow every kick.
The club will soon also provide infromation on how Town are making progress in getting supporters back into the stadium; how matchday will be different for fans when they are back; whether you can buy a pie and pint at the ground; will there be a matchday programme; how will social distancing work at Portman Road; will there be any hospitality? What about the FanZone?
Q: For anyone who doesn’t know, what is iFollow?
A: iFollow Ipswich is the latest name for the club’s TV subscription channel.
It’s been going for not far short of 20 years and has been known as Ipswich World and Ipswich Player in the past.
It’s run under the EFL umbrella with a vast majority of clubs from the EFL having their own iFollow service.
Over the last couple of years clubs have been allowed to stream games live that aren’t played at the weekend and don’t clash with Sky’s live coverage.
With 2020/21 starting behind closed doors though, the EFL and Sky have struck up a deal that now allows clubs to stream their league games live regardless of when they are played. And season ticket holders can watch home league games for free.
Q: If I’m a Town season ticket holder how do I watch home games then?
A: You need to have an account with iFollow. If you haven’t got one, then you need to register as soon as possible. That’s the first stage.
Click here and then follow the prompts. Make sure you put in the right email address and make a note of your password.
Q: So what happens after that?
A: The club will email an individual promotion code to each season ticket holder and you can use that code to access the live streaming via iFollow. A different code will be sent for every home game.
Q: When do I receive my promotion code?
A: The day before the game but remember it’s for home league matches only. You will also ONLY receive a match promo code for games that are not covered live on Sky.
Q: But Town’s first league game of the season, against Wigan on September 13 is live on Sky. How will this be different?
A: Only Town season ticket holders will be able to watch live streaming of the Wigan game. No one else - home or away.
Season ticket holders will still watch the game via iFollow but there will be no promo code supplied.
The club will be passing on email addresses of all season ticket holders to EFL Digital for this match. This is for the sole purpose of EFL Digital providing free access to the live streaming to season ticket holders who correspond to the email addresses provided.
Q: Do season ticket holders get free access to watch cup games at Portman Road as well, like Saturday’s Carabao Cup tie or the EFL Trophy matches?
A: No. Think of the promo code as a season ticket. It will give you access to home league games but like your season ticket, you can’t use it to watch cup matches.
Q: How do I watch cup games then?
A: Cup matches will be streamed providing they are not live on Sky but you have to buy an iFollow match pass which costs £10. All match pass prices are set by the EFL.
Q: How do I do that?
The live streaming will clearly be advertised on the club website and iFollow as matchday approaches. Just click on the link and follow the instructions from there.
Q: What about away matches, is iFollow showing them live as well?
A: Yes. It’s the same process as cup games and the same price - £10 - but if an away game is being shown live on Sky, you won’t be able to watch it.
Q: What if I’m not a season ticket holder, can I still watch the streaming?
A: Yep. You can watch every game as long as it’s not covered live by Sky. You just need to buy a match pass at £10.
Q: Will season ticket holders get free access to iFollow to watch home league games all through 2020/21?
A: No easy answer to that. The agreement between the EFL and Sky is in place while games are played behind closed doors or while attendances are greatly reduced. It will be monitored month by month. When crowds are back in their numbers it’s expected that the live streaming option for Saturday games will be stopped.
STEP BY STEP
Below is a step by step guide for all season ticket holders to follow to ensure you can watch Town’s home league games live on iFollow…
- You must register for an iFollow account or have an existing iFollow account to be able to watch live streaming. Click here to register.
- Make a note of your details on iFollow including password.
- Make sure your email address on iFollow is the same as your email address on your account on the club’s ticketing partner, SeatGeek, and that it’s valid. If it’s not, update your email address at tickets.itfc.co.uk. Your email address MUST be the same on both.
- Make sure your iFollow account is working okay. If not, email iFollow@efl.com with details.
- Follow the link on the club website and iFollow on matchday to watch live streaming.
- To be able to watch Town’s game against Wigan live on iFollow, you must have your ‘customer’ details up to date on SeatGeek and have your iFollow account in place by 3pm on Tuesday, September 8.
WHO CAN WATCH WHAT ON IFOLLOW
Home league games (not televised live by Sky)
- Season ticket holders will get free access via a match promo code sent by the club the day before the game. A different code will be sent for each home league match.
- Non-season ticket holders can buy a match pass for £10.
Home league games (televised live by Sky)
- Season ticket holders will be given free access to iFollow streaming. No promo code will be sent.
- No access to live streaming for non-season ticket holders.
Away league games (not televised live by Sky)
- All supporters can buy a match pass at £10
Away league games (televised live by Sky)
- No access to live streaming for Town fans
Carabao Cup first round v Bristol Rovers
- This game is only available to watch for Town fans based in the UK at £10 for a match pass.
- No access to overseas supporters.
Carabao Cup second round onwards
- Full details to follow but match passes expected to be available at home and overseas at £10 if applicable.
EFL Trophy games
- All supporters can buy a match pass at £10.
Live televised cup games
- No live streaming available.
WHO TO CONTACT
- Having trouble with your iFollow account then email iFollow@efl.com.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you don’t want your email address passed on to EFL Digital. This will mean you will be unable to access live streaming of the Wigan game on September 13.
- See iFollow Ipswich for questions and answers on the iFollow service for home and overseas subscribers.
- If you are struggling to login to your SeatGeek account please email the Ticket Office at email@example.com.