Home   Ipswich   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Connor Field strikes to win Suffolk Senior Cup for Ipswich Wanderers against Coplestonians at Humber Doucy Lane

A single goal saw Ipswich Wanderers win the CNet Training Suffolk Senior Cup for a second time, writes Nick Garnham.

Connor Field netted after half-an-hour as landlords Wanderers defeated tenants Coplestonians 1-0 in the delayed 2019/20 final at Humber Doucy Lane last night.

Wanderers, whose only previous success in the competition came in the 2012/13 season, went into the final as favourites against their lower-league opponents and were the better side in the opening period.

Ipswich Wanderers are presented with the CNet Training Suffolk Senior Cup trophy at Humber Doucy Lane Picture: Suffolk FA (42591278)
Ipswich Wanderers are presented with the CNet Training Suffolk Senior Cup trophy at Humber Doucy Lane Picture: Suffolk FA (42591278)

However, Coplestonians got on top after the interval and only a couple of smart saves by goalkeeper Craig Brand prevented the Macron SIL side from equalising.

Wanderers almost took the lead in the sixth minute as a right-wing free kick from Jack Severy saw keeper John Houchill scrambling across his line to save at his near post.

Houchill then saved with his legs following a driving run into the penalty area by Marcus Taylor, who then volleyed wide at the other end.

In between Yani Duke tried to chip Brand from distance after a one-two with strike partner Jordan Godbold but didn’t get enough purchase on the ball and the keeper saved comfortably.

The winning goal arrived on the half-hour and it was a scruffy goal in keeping with the tone of the game.

Severy’s scuffed right-wing free-kick appeared to catch the Coplestonians defence unawares and Field reacted quickest to get the ball out from underneath his feet and shoot home past Houchill.

Field had scored the winner in Wanderers’ 2-1 semi-final victory over Henley Athletic as well as the deciding goal as Hardy defeated Thrasher United 4-3 in last month’s Suffolk Sunday Trophy Final.

Coplestonians were forced into a change six minutes after the break as Kirk Ferniz, making his first appearance of the season, limped off with cramp, but they then started to get on top.

Joe Francis swept the ball out to the right wing from where Godbold cut in and forced Brand to save low to his right at the expense of a corner.

Two minutes later Coplestonians created their best chance of the match, substitute Ross Turner cutting the ball back from the goalline to Matt Rutterford, whose rising drive was clawed away by Brand.

The Thurlow Nunn League First Division North side closed the game out in the last 20 minutes as Coplestonians ran out of steam and Taylor was denied by the legs of Houchill in the 90th minute.

Andrew Stevens, CEO of CNet Training, represented the competition sponsors at the presentation ceremony.

Coplestonians: John Houchill, Kirk Ferniz (sub Ross Turner, 51 mins), Tom Fowler, Lewis Owen, James Sadler, Lee Willcox, Yani Duka (sub Harry Cole, 63 mins), Joe Francis, Will Oxbrow, Jordan Godbold, Matt Rutterford (sub Perrie Soanes, 83 mins). Unused subs: Jack Dawson, David King.

Ipswich Wanderers: Craig Brand, Nathan Speed, Lewis Kincaid, Josh Folkes, Gavin Flurrie, Rhys Barber, Marcus Taylor, Sam Cheetham (sub Michael Barwick, 75 mins), George Mrozek, Jack Severy (sub Danny Thrower, 83 mins), Connor Field. Unused subs: Jamie Curran, Darius Laws, Sam Garwood.

Referee: Darren Stobbart.

Attendance: 300.