Kesgrave shooting: Teenager accused of attempted murder of schoolboy, 15, makes second court appearance
A teenager accused of the attempted murder of a schoolboy in a shooting in Kesgrave this week has appeared in crown court this afternoon.
While the defendant was not asked to enter pleas, a provisional trial date has now also been set for early 2021.
Officers were called just after 8.40am on Monday to reports that a teenage boy had been shot in Friends Walk, as he was walking to school.
The victim, aged 15, sustained serious injuries and was airlifted to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, where he currently remains in a critical condition.
The defendant, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared before Norwich Youth Court this morning by video-link from a Suffolk police station, having been charged with attempted murder yesterday evening .
The court heard the victim, who also cannot be named for legal reasons, was allegedly shot in the face after a confrontation.
The defendant is also charged with possession of a firearm, a 12-gauge Beretta over and under shotgun, with intent to cause fear of injury of another person, and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.
The youth, from the Woodbridge area, spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address during the 20-minute hearing.
He was not asked to enter pleas and was remanded in custody until an appearance before Ipswich Crown Court this afternoon.
At the boy's crown court appearance, Judge Martyn Levett remanded the defendant in custody to appear back before the court for a plea hearing on December 7.
He set a provisional trial date of January 25 2021, with a time estimate of two weeks.
Suffolk Police said witnesses reported seeing a suspect get into a car after the attack, before the vehicle drove away.
An arrest was made just over two hours after the shooting, at 10.55am on Monday, five miles away in Ipswich.
A car was seized at the time of the arrest, from which a long-barrelled firearm was recovered, the force said.
Kesgrave High School said that one of its Year 11 students had been involved in a serious incident on the way to school on Monday, but that pupils at the site were safe.
The school said on Twitter on Tuesday: “Students have been simply amazing today.
“Calm and focused in class and clearly glad to be back in school.
“A very difficult time for the school community but all supporting each other.”
Police patrols are set to continue in the Kesgrave area over the coming days, with police engaging with schoolchildren, teachers, parents and local residents to provide reassurance and listen to concerns.
A police pod located in Through Jollys will also have officers present between 8am and 9.30am in the mornings and 2pm and 3.30pm in the afternoons so residents can ask questions.
Any witnesses, or anyone with information, should contact the Major Investigation Team via an online portal here or by calling 101.
Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers% anonymously on 0800 555 111, or via their online form .