Martlesham teenager Jacob Talbot-Lummis locked up for 24 years after shooting friend in face in Kesgrave
A 16-year-old boy who shot his friend in the face in a Kesgrave street last year has been locked up for 24 years.
Martlesham teenager Jacob Talbot-Lummis, who can be named for the first time today, appeared before Ipswich Crown Court this morning following a trial in June which found him guilty of attempted murder.
During the 29-day trial the court heard that on September 7, 2020, then 15-year-old Talbot-Lummis confronted the victim as he walked to school after driving to the scene in his father’s car and having laid in wait for about an hour.
He then shot him in the face with a double-barrelled shotgun which he had taken from his grandfather’s house.
Talbot-Lummis, of Carol Avenue, stood over the victim with witnesses describing him as being calm.
He also pointed the gun at a man who looked out of the window of a neighbouring property.
The victim, whose parents were watching today’s sentencing via video link, was in a life-threatening condition after the shooting with a major injury to his face and a brain injury that resulted in a stroke.
He underwent 13 surgeries, including a jaw reconstruction, tracheostomy and partial skull reconstruction, as well as spending six months in a rehabilitation facility.
He will now have to receive life-long treatment.
After the shooting, Talbot-Lummis drove off and was arrested by armed police in Ipswich, later that morning.
Officers had to smash the window of the car to get him out.
The court also heard that upon arrest Talbot-Lummis told the police: “I did what I wanted to do, scummy as it was.”
The sentencing was adjourned in early September, following the revelation of comments made by the teenager after the shooting.
The court heard the boy had made comments like 'I’ll probably kill again' and 'I’ll probably be inside until I’m 40 and I want to be famous for chemical warfare' while in a group session in a secure unit.
The sentencing was then adjourned for a second time later in the month for more information to be gathered on the teenager’s dangerousness.
Today, the teen was sentenced to 24 years' detention, with a five year extended licence period.
Judge Martyn Levett told the court that Talbot-Lummis was ‘dangerous’ and called his attack on his classmate a planned and premeditated ‘ambush’.
He said: “Few are heeding the warnings they are given that guns are dangerous, that guns need to be stored properly and guns are not to be used for conflict resolution.
“This was all pre-planned and pre-meditated which makes it even more serious.”
He added that Talbot-Lummis had an 'obsessive interest in firearms' made worse by his interest in violent video games and virtual reality.
The court heard that Talbot-Lummis’ victim will need lifelong care and will never be able to live independently.
Speaking of the victim, Judge Levett said: “He had a promising life ahead.
“The loss of amenity and loss of enjoyment of life means he will be relying on his family in the future.
“He remains on medication and suffers bad dreams and flashbacks.”
The police investigation found that Talbot-Lummis had been planning the attack for nearly a year and made comments to a friend about wanting to get a gun and shoot someone, which the friend dismissed as fantasy.
Detective Superintendent David Henderson, the senior investigating officer, said: “There is no doubt in my mind that Jacob Talbot-Lummis intended to kill the victim.
"You don’t threaten someone with a loaded shotgun and then ultimately shoot them in the face just to ‘scare them’.
"We know that Talbot-Lummis had experience of using shotguns, so his claim that the gun fired accidentally seems extremely unlikely.
"The witness descriptions of his cold and calm manner following the shooting appear to reaffirm that firing the shotgun was indeed planned.
"He did not check upon the victim or try to raise help - he simply coolly drove away, his plan fulfilled.
"Throughout the trial he continued this brazen and unfazed manner and has never once displayed remorse or concern for the victim.
"It is very hard to understand what could have caused a 15-year-old boy to have committed such an extreme act of violence in this way.
"Whatever disagreements or grievances you may claim to have with someone, there is never any justification for an attack such as this.
"It is nothing short of a miracle that the victim survived the attack and the progress he has made is testament to the first-class medical care he has received.
"Not only has he been left with the physical scars of this attack, he will no doubt carry the mental trauma of the incident for life too.
"The sentence handed down by the court today reflects the severity of the crime which was committed and I can only hope that by this legal process coming to an end, the victim and his family can now begin to focus on the future and rebuilding their lives."