Home   Kesgrave   Article

Kesgrave shooting: Woodbridge teenager who blasted friend in face with shotgun said he would 'probably kill again'




The sentencing of a 16-year-old boy who shot his childhood friend in the face in Kesgrave last year has been adjourned following the revelation of comments made by the teenager after the shooting.

In a sentencing hearing today, the court heard the boy had made comments like 'I’ll probably kill again' and 'I’ll probably be inside until I’m 40 and I want to be famous for chemical warfare' while in a group session in a secure unit.

These comments came 20 days after the events of September 7, 2020, when the then-15-year-old shot his childhood friend in the face with a double barrelled shotgun.

Police at the scene of the Kesgrave shooting last year. (Joe Giddens/PA)
Police at the scene of the Kesgrave shooting last year. (Joe Giddens/PA)

The hearing follows a month-long trial in June which found the Woodbridge teenager guilty of attempted murder.

During the trial the court heard that the defendant confronted the victim as he walked to school.

He then shot him in the face with a shotgun which he had taken from his grandfather’s house.

Shotgun used in Kesgrave shooting. Picture: Suffolk Police
Shotgun used in Kesgrave shooting. Picture: Suffolk Police

He also pointed the gun at a man who looked out of the window of a neighbouring property.

The victim was in a life-threatening condition after the shooting with a major injury to his face and a brain injury, resulting in a stroke.

He underwent 13 surgeries, including a jaw reconstruction, tracheostomy and partial skull reconstruction, as well as spending six months in a rehabilitation facility, and will have to receive life-long treatment.

During the two hour hearing today, the court heard victim impact statements read aloud by the victim’s father and brother, as well as statements from the victim himself, the victim’s mother, an eyewitness and an eyewitness’ father.

The victim’s father told the court he and his family have been hugely impacted by the attack, and that the trauma of the incident has left them struggling to live in the town.

Police officers carry out a search in Kesgrave where a 15-year-old student was shot on his way to school (Joe Giddens/PA)
Police officers carry out a search in Kesgrave where a 15-year-old student was shot on his way to school (Joe Giddens/PA)

“He will never have the life he was destined for, never receive the happiness he deserves,” he said.

He also said the family’s future is now shaped by the need to provide care for their son, which has had a huge impact on their mental health and quality of life.

The victim’s brother also spoke before the court in the hearing today.

He explained that he, his mother and his sister had to give life-saving first aid to his brother while waiting for the emergency services.

“This moment will stick with me for the rest of my life,” he said.

Judge Martyn Levett adjourned the case until September 24, when sentencing will continue based on supplementary reports.

For information on how we can report on court proceedings, click here.

Read more: All the latest news from Suffolk

Read more: All the latest news from Kesgrave