Home   Lifestyle   Article

Subscribe Now

Churchgate Street, from the Spanton Jarman Collection




Spanton Jarman collection - Churchgate Street circa 1920 ANL-160122-160956001
Spanton Jarman collection - Churchgate Street circa 1920 ANL-160122-160956001

A late 1920s or early 1930s photograph looking down Churchgate Street.

The building on the left, no 23, is a tobacconist run by Augusta Clausen (1922-33), next door was Mrs E Bridges, dressmaker. On the right is the Queen’s Head, run by the Percy family. Also on the right is the mock tudor building, designed by H S Watling in 1903 to replace Herveys grocers shop, destroyed by fire. This building became Marlow’s builders merchants 1925-75.

-- This picture is part of a remarkable collection of 4,000 photographs in the care of Bury St Edmunds Past and Present Society which offers a glimpse into the town’s history.

Taken by two families of professional photographers, the Spantons and the Jarmans, the images span a period from the 1860s through to the outbreak of World War Two. The fragile glass plate negatives were donated to the society in 1997 and in recent years many of these have been ‘digitised’ thanks to a Lottery grant and can be viewed at www.burypastandpresent.org.uk where you can also find details about membership and the group’s programme of events and lectures. The Spanton-Jarman collection is held at the Bury St Edmunds branch of the Suffolk Record Office. For more details about the Record Office, including its programme of talks and courses, visit www.suffolk.gov.uk/sro.