Anglian Water does not plan to introduce hosepipe ban in Suffolk
Anglian Water has said it does not plan to introduce a hosepipe ban in Suffolk this year despite dry weather.
After two water companies announced restrictions, others are warning they may need to follow suit if the sustained dry weather and high demand continues.
South East Water became the second water company to restrict use of hosepipes and sprinklers, announcing a ban within Kent and Sussex from Friday August 12 until further notice.
Southern Water announced the first hosepipe ban of the year last week on Hampshire and the Isle of Wight from this Friday.
However, the company who control Suffolk's water supply say reservoir levels are currently stable.
An Anglian Water spokesperson said: “Despite a very dry year so far, our reservoir levels are stable, at around 80% full, and our groundwater sources are in reasonable shape too, so we’re not currently planning on any hosepipe bans this year."
While there are no plans to introduce a ban at present, the spokesperson added the situation is being monitored.
They added: “Although one dry winter doesn’t give us cause for concern now, we also need to make sure we conserve enough water for tomorrow, next month and next summer too.
“Certainly if we have a second dry winter this year, we won’t be in the same position next spring."
The moves to curb water use come after England has seen the driest eight-month period from November 2021 to July since 1976, when much of the country struggled in extreme drought.
Last month saw a record-breaking heatwave and the driest July in records dating back to 1836 for south east and central southern England.
For England as a whole last month was the driest since 1935, Met Office figures show.
The country could be in drought this month if the dry conditions continue, the Environment Agency has warned.