Home   Newmarket   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Residents woken up by smell of smoke in Isleham bungalow blaze



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


Householders have been urged to check their fire alarms after two people were woken up by the smell of smoke as a blaze tore through their Isleham bungalow.

In the early hours today firefighters were called to a house in Station Road in the village, as fire ripped through the two-bedroom property.

The two living in the house were woken up to the smell of smoke, with fire alarms in the house not working, and called emergency services at about 5.40am.

A blaze tore through an Isleham bungalow, in Station Road, in the early hours of today (37758932)
A blaze tore through an Isleham bungalow, in Station Road, in the early hours of today (37758932)

At the scene Ed Miller, station commander at Cambridge Fire and Rescue's headquarters, urged people to make sure their fire alarms are working.

"The affected property didn't have working smoke alarms," Mr Miller told the Journal. "Our message is make sure your property is fitted with working smoke alarms."

He added those inside the property had escaped unharmed, but a dog died in the blaze.

A blaze tore through an Isleham bungalow, in Station Road, in the early hours of today (37758987)
A blaze tore through an Isleham bungalow, in Station Road, in the early hours of today (37758987)

There were more than 30 firefighters battling the bungalow blaze, which was in danger of affecting neighbouring homes.

"The majority of the fire affected the roof space which spread quite quickly but we stopped it spreading to the neighbouring property which was a success," he said.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, and was extinguished in about half an hour. Crews continued to work at the scene throughout the day.

Cambridgeshire Police closed the road between Freckenham and Isleham as crews worked at the fire.