Home   Newmarket   News   Article

Soham man who threatened to stab his ex-girlfriend is jailed

A Soham man who ignored a restraining order and threatened to stab his ex-girlfriend has been jailed.

In May Christopher West, 27, of Dobede Way, was handed a three year restraining order after he assaulted and harassed his former partner, a woman in her 20s.

But, despite the order, he contacted her days later on using a different phone number but she immediately recognised his voice.

Christopher West, 27, of Dobede Way (14034552)
Christopher West, 27, of Dobede Way (14034552)

He denied it was him but eventually slipped up and became aggressive and threatening.

After the May 9 call the woman hung up and called Cambridgeshire Police, during which time he tried to ring her another 16 times.

Scared he would turn up to her Cambridge house, the woman and her son went to a nearby friend's house.

But, while walking there they were confronted by West who continued to be abusive but left after the woman's dad intervened.

She was again contacted by West on May 27. This time he demanded to meet her at Waitrose and said he would smash her car up if she didn’t. The woman told him she wasn’t going to meet him and contacted police but officers were unable find him at the shop.

The victim received another call from West a short while later but quickly hung up after he told her he was hiding from police and waiting for her.

He called again an hour later, asking to meet and for £100 but she again hung up.

In the following hours he called a further 48 times before the woman eventually answered the phone, and was told by West: "If you don't come and meet me I'm going to come round, smash your car up and stab you."

At about 11.10pm that night she received a further call from West, who was using a number linked to Addenbrooke’s Hospital. He told her to “come to the hospital now or I’ll come round and smash your head in”, before demanding £50.

West was arrested the following day at his Soham home.

He was jailed for 15 months and eight weeks at Cambridge Crown Court yesterday after pleading guilty to two counts of harassment and breaching a suspended sentence order.