Home   Newmarket   Sport   Article

Roger Varian to make late decision on Surfman's Investec Epsom Derby participation




Newmarket trainer Roger Varian has revealed that a late decision will be made over whether or not to run Surfman in the Investec Epsom Derby on June 1.

After victories at Nottingham and Newcastle, the son of Kingman impressed when finishing third during last week's Dante Stakes at York.

He holds an entry for the Derby, but Carlburg Stables' Varian will not commit either way until a couple of days before the Classic is due to be run.

Roger Varian
Roger Varian

"I was thrilled with Surfman's performance in the Dante. I thought it was a slightly frustrating race in terms of how it panned out. We wanted to ride him quietly as he didn't have vast experience," said Varian.

"I wanted to continue his education. However, turning for home on good to firm ground on a flat track, we were a little out of our ground. He made up eye-catching ground in the straight.

"I thought it was a good performance and who knows how lose he would have come if the race had panned out slightly differently. He has come out of the race well.

"He is in the Derby and we don't need to make any decision about whether he runs in the Derby until Thursday morning next week.

"I would love to have a crack at the Derby, but it is about doing what is best for the horse. He is going to be a great horse going forward. I think he is a genuine G1 performer.

"Whether he is a horse to chance our arm in the Derby next weekend, I honestly don't know. I want to watch him for seven to 10 days before making a decision. I have not seen him much since York and I want a full week to watch him train. Next week, we will have a clearer idea in terms of the field so he is no more than a possible at this stage."