Home   Newmarket   Sport   Article

Penalty shootout drama sees Isleham United advance into William Coad Intermediate Cup final at the expense of Bassingbourn

Isleham United are through to the final of the William Coad Intermediate Cup final following a 4-2 penalty shootout win over Bassingbourn this afternoon.

The two Kershaw Senior B sides played out a 1-1 draw during 90 minutes, with hosting Isleham scoring late on to send the tie into spot kicks.

And after Isleham goalkeeper Danny Stackhouse had saved from Chris Plumb and Sam Plumb struck the crossbar, Ben Shepperson stepped up to send the home side through.

Isleham United (31571699)
Isleham United (31571699)

Bassingbourn had won the two league meetings between the teams by an aggregate score of 7-1, but they went into the contest as the division's in-form outfits.

Indeed, during the last 11 games they have picked up more points than any of their rivals, with second-placed Isleham collecting 27 and Bassingbourn (5th) securing 25 during that time.

And as expected, a close semi-final ensued. The first half was patchy and while Isleham were on top, Andrew Barrett's headed effort that drifted off target in the 39th minute was about it in terms of clear cut openings.

The visitors improved in the second half and they went on to break the deadlock in the 69th minute. There was more than a touch of fortune about the goal because Anthony Lane's drilled free-kick was heading way off target until Jake Booth stuck out a boot to divert the ball beyond Stackhouse.

Isleham pushed for an equaliser thereafter and they threatened on a handful of occasions through set pieces and long throw-ins.

Robbie Scrivener dragged a shot just wide in the 78th minute, but the equaliser eventually came four minutes from time. Jack Challis swung in a corner from the right which Bassingbourn goalkeeper Chris O'Connor appeared to punch into his own net.

Plenty of drama followed during the subsequent shootout as Stackhosue saved from Lane, who was first up for Bassingbourn. However, the officials deemed that the Isleham skipper had ventured too far off his line and ordered a retake, which the Bassingbourn midfielder duly dispatched.

Isleham's Barrett and Bassingbourn's Booth then both scored before the home team's Charlie Goodchild was denied by O'Connor's feet.

Stackhouse came to the rescue, though, to thwart Chris Plumb and Isleham then edged in front when Dion Badcock's low effort somehow squeezed in underneath O'Connor.

In response, Bassingbourn's Sam Plumb cannoned his effort against the woodwork and Shepperson did the rest, sending O'Connor the wrong way to give his side the chance of winning their first piece of silverware since 2011.

Isleham: Stackhouse, Griffin, Challis, Marks, Kukuris, Goodchild, Shepperson, Scrivener (James 81'), Badcock, Barrett, Heywood (Kerr 59')

* For reaction and pictures from the game, see this week's Journal print edition.