Home   Newmarket   Sport   Article

Newmarket Town Women's Development sign off with convincing victory

Newmarket Town Women’s Development side maintained their recent run of positive form on Saturday by recording a 4-0 win over Swavesey Spartans.

The result means that Newmarket have lost just one of their last 11 S-Tech Women’s Championship fixtures, and that was at the hands of table-topping Cambridge Rangers.

Hosting Town started very sloppy, not really making any passes stick and it became a very ugly midfield battle. However, they still managed to break the deadlock in the 11th minute through captain Rebecca Towler.

Manager Shane Lebbon. Picture Mark Westley. (31703798)
Manager Shane Lebbon. Picture Mark Westley. (31703798)

Swavesey only half cleared a corner and when the ball dropped for Towler, she lifted a half volley into the net.

Newmarket went close to doubling their advantage just before the break following a move involving new signing Hannah Doyle, Talia Irvine and Kaitlin Elsey.

The ball was eventually set back for Clem Key, with her effort cannoning to safety off the post.

Moments later Newmarket were again denied by the woodwork – this time it was Evie Jakes, who turned the ball against the crossbar.

Newmarket were much improved in the second half and they eventually put some daylight between themselves and the opposition thanks to Irvine’s 14th goal of the season in the 61st minute.

A through ball from Hannah Rogers released the attacker and she made no mistake with a composed finish.

Goals three and four came courtesy of in-form centre-forward Elsey, who has now found the net on 10 occasions in her last three appearances for the development team.

The league has now been suspended ‘until further notice’.

Cambs FA put out a statement that read: “All grassroots football will be postponed across Cambridgeshire until further notice.”

* Newmarket Town Under-15 Girls suffered a second 2-1 defeat to their Cottenham counterparts in as many weeks.

A goal from Izzy Davis-Trainer handed Newmarket the lead at the break, but Cottenham fought back after the restart to secure all three points.