Long Melford man died due to asbestos exposure during working life, inquest hears
A man from Long Melford, who spent much of his working life exposed to asbestos, died from a disease associated with the material, an inquest decided.
David Mott, 72, of High Street, died on Tuesday, November 13, after being diagnosed with mesothelioma – a type of cancer that affects the lining of the lungs and chest wall.
On Monday, an inquest at Suffolk Coroner’s Court in Ipswich heard that Mr Mott had been a painter and decorator for a significant portion of his life.
During his career, he had been repeatedly exposed to asbestos dust while cleaning asbestos gutters and drainpipes with a wire brush, as sheets of the material were being cut up with power saws.
Assistant Suffolk coroner Dr Daniel Sharpstone recorded a conclusion that Mr Mott died as a result of an industrial disease.