Home   Sudbury   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Bures Music Festival enjoys best success yet after emotional return from Covid-19 hiatus



More news, no ads

LEARN MORE


A long-running music festival enjoyed its most successful event to date, with crowds turning out in large numbers to help support various local causes.

Organisers behind Bures Music Festival have lauded the public’s response following the event’s return last week, after three years of Covid-enforced absence.

Celebrating its 25th anniversary, the not-for-profit festival kicked off last Wednesday, with different acts performing each evening until the weekend, when a full line-up of original acts and tribute bands took to the stage throughout both days.

12 year old, Hayden Hammond wows the crowds at Bures Music Festival with his solo drum display..Pic - Richard Marsham. (57867706)
12 year old, Hayden Hammond wows the crowds at Bures Music Festival with his solo drum display..Pic - Richard Marsham. (57867706)

Tickets for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, in addition to the five-day festival passes, were all sold out, while turnout was also strong for the B-Fest young musicians’ competition on Thursday night.

The contest was won by 12-year-old drummer Hayden Hammond, who then wowed the crowds on stage on Saturday.

Money raised during the festival is still being counted, with proceeds going to causes such as St Nicholas Hospice Care, St Helena Hospice, the Colchester General Hospital children’s ward and Ferriers Barn day centre in Bures.

A guitarist entertains the crowds at Bures Music Festival..Pic - Richard Marsham. (57867710)
A guitarist entertains the crowds at Bures Music Festival..Pic - Richard Marsham. (57867710)

Organiser Marsha Moore said she was delighted with the five-day showcase. “It was the most successful event we’ve had,” she said.

“The crowds were wonderful, so happy and delightful, and we’ve had many lovely comments and reviews on our social media pages.

“A few people have spoken about how emotional they felt at seeing the festival come back after Covid restrictions.

“It has also been an anxious couple of years for us, because certain expenses still have to be paid when the festival isn’t on, depleting our reserves, but we’re glad we took the risk and decided to go ahead. It was worth it.

“Other feedback has suggested it was the best musical line-up yet. All bands were well received, but the headline acts, in particular, went down a storm.

“The weather was on our side. In fact, it was steaming hot, but it didn’t seem to bother anyone.

“Everyone on the team is tired but happy. I think it’s safe to say it was a triumph.”