Home   Sudbury   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Number 10 restaurant in Lavenham encouraged by benefits of Eat Out to Help Out scheme following increase in bookings





An eatery in Lavenham has praised the community’s support after seeing a rise in footfall, following the launch of a nationwide scheme designed to encourage people to dine out.

Number 10 in Lady Street is among a wide range of food outlets who have signed up to Eat Out to Help Out, a scheme which offers customers a 50 per cent discount off any food item or non-alcoholic drink (up to £10 per person) to provide a much-needed boost to the hospitality industry.

After the Government initiative was launched on Monday, Joanna Knight, who runs the restaurant and wine bar with husband, Rod Benson, said she had noticed an increase in bookings.

Number 10 wine bar and restaurant, Lady St, Lavenham, Sudbury.Number 10, wine bar and restaurant, have had a positive response to the new government scheme - Eat Out to Help Out..The business received around 40 bookings during the first day...Owner Joanna Knight with her team chef Mathew Tucker and bar tender Tom Payne. Picture by Mark Westley. (39933581)
Number 10 wine bar and restaurant, Lady St, Lavenham, Sudbury.Number 10, wine bar and restaurant, have had a positive response to the new government scheme - Eat Out to Help Out..The business received around 40 bookings during the first day...Owner Joanna Knight with her team chef Mathew Tucker and bar tender Tom Payne. Picture by Mark Westley. (39933581)

“It’s busier than it usually is for this time of year,” said the 46-year-old, who established the business seven years ago.

“I have spoken to a couple of businesses in the village and everyone seems to be doing really well.”

Reflecting on the move, Mrs Knight highlighted that, while customers were making most of the offer, it enabled some people to treat themselves to other items which have been excluded from the scheme.

“People seem keen to come out for a discount,” she said. “But it allows them to push the boat out and buy a bottle of wine, too.”

As part of the initiative, businesses will be reimbursed for all the revenue lost through the discounted prices from the Government.

Hoping that the reclaiming process will be straightforward, Mrs Knight said: “Providing that the scheme is easy to use, we won’t know until August 7 how to claim back the money, but, so far, we feel that it has been a very positive move, and in the village as a whole.”

After reopening last month, the business was granted permission from the district council to open up a private garden in addition to its outdoor space, which has enabled it to impose measures to satisfy the Government’s safety guidelines.

Due to the style of the business’s premises, which is a Grade-1 listed building, providing sufficient space for people to keep a safe distance from one another could have proven difficult without the additional outdoor dining area.

“If we weren’t allowed to open our other garden, I don’t know if we could have reopened,” said Mrs Knight, who is delighted to see customers socialising in the restaurant once again.