Home   Sudbury   News   Article

Sudbury man sentenced to 12 years in prison for raping teenage girl

Marian Pavel jailed for rape and sexual assault of teenager in Sudbury (3221064)
Marian Pavel jailed for rape and sexual assault of teenager in Sudbury (3221064)

A teenage girl, who was raped in Sudbury, pleaded to her attacker not to kill her, a court heard this week.

Marian Pavel, 28, of Cavendish Way, Sudbury, was jailed for 12 years at Ipswich Crown Court on Monday, after pleading guilty to rape and sexual assault.

The court heard that his 18-year-old victim begged Pavel not to kill her, before screaming for help.

She has since suffered nightmares as a result of the attack and has attempted to take her own life.

Speaking after the hearing, Detective Inspector Stuart Chapman said: “I can only describe this as an awful and appalling attack carried out by Pavel.

“While the victim was walking home, it is evident that Pavel followed her for a distance before attacking her in such a cruel way, leading the victim to truly believe that she would die.

“The victim has been so brave and courageous throughout this investigation but, understandably, Pavel’s actions have had a significant impact.

“I am pleased with the sentence today and hope this will go some way in helping the victim following the trauma and distress she has endured.

“I would like to thank all those people who have assisted the police with this investigation to ensure this was successfully brought to court.”

Earlier, the court heard that the victim was attacked in the early hours of Bank Holiday Monday, on May 28, at approximately 3.30am.

Prosecutor Christopher Paxton said she had been walking away from the town, along a route she knew well.

At around the same time, Pavel had been making his way home with friends, whom he had been out with that evening.

The court heard that while his friends went into a house in Cavendish Way, Pavel remained outside by himself.

It was while the victim was walking near a cycle path, between First Avenue and Second Avenue, using a flash light on her phone, that she heard foot steps behind her.

Before she could react, Pavel grabbed her and pushed her to the ground. She was sexually assaulted and raped.

During the attack, the victim asked her attacker if he was going to kill her, to which the defendant replied ‘yes’, Mr Paxton told the court.

The victim pleaded with Pavel not to kill her and after spotting two women walking along the road, managed to scream out ‘Help me, help me, he’s going to kill me,’ prompting Pavel to flee.

After a police investigation was launched, officers trawled through CCTV footage, which identified the attacker as Pavel.

During questioning, Pavel told police he had gone home that night, but officers spoke to his house mates who disputed this.

They told officers that, instead of going into the house, Pavel stayed outside.

They subsequently told police that, after the incident, Pavel shaved off his beard, and had asked them to cut his hair.

Mr Paxton described this as an effort to change his appearance in an attempt to prevent him from being identified.

In a statement read out in court, the victim described how she has since been reliving the incident and has suffered “extremely bad nightmares”.

“I actually thought I was going to die,” she said. “I thought he was going to kill me.”

The court heard that she had recently taken a high dosage of sleeping tablets in an attempt to “knock herself out”.

In the statement, the victim described the effect the ordeal has had on her self-esteem.

“I never had much confidence before this happened, but now I feel I have been shot down,” she said.

In mitigation, Stephen Dyble said his client was a relatively young man with no previous convictions in the United Kingdom, or in his native country of Romania.

Mr Dyble told the court the defendant’s guilty plea demonstrated that he had tried to reduce the level of distress caused to the victim, who, as a result, was not required to testify.

“He has done as much as he can to avoid further stress to the complainant,” said Mr Dyble. “He has pleaded guilty at a very early stage.

“There’s nothing in his past to suggest why he has behaved like this.”

In her sentencing, Judge Emma Peters described the incident as a “heinous crime” and commended the victim’s bravery during the ordeal.

“The courage she demonstrated is to be applauded, as you carried on without any regard to this woman,” said Judge Peters.

“I’m pleased that people on the streets of Sudbury that night were able to offer her comfort and solace while the police were called.”

Taking into account the defendant’s guilty plea, Judge Peters reduced Pavel’s 16-year jail term by 25 per cent.

He was ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register.