Home   Sudbury   News   Article

Three people charged in connection with overnight robbery of woman at Cavendish home




Three more people have been charged in connection with the overnight robbery of a woman in her 70s at her home in Cavendish earlier this year – taking the number of people charged in connection to the robbery to four.

Suffolk Police said the three men previously arrested as part of the investigation were today charged with robbery upon attending Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre to answer bail.

The robbery occurred in the early hours of Thursday, April 16 at a property in Nether Road.

Three more people have been charged in connection with the overnight robbery of a woman in her 70s at her home earlier this year
Three more people have been charged in connection with the overnight robbery of a woman in her 70s at her home earlier this year

Three people entered the premises just after midnight, where the victim was asleep in her bedroom.

Police said she was awoken by a man who was holding his hands firmly over her mouth and demanding property, while the other two men searched the home.

After a short time, the victim was able to scream for help, alerting a neighbour who came to assist and raise the alarm.

All three men then fled the scene, having carried out an untidy search of the property and stolen an amount of cash and jewellery.

As of today, four men have now been charged in connection with the robbery.

The three charged today are: Steven Lawson, aged 43, of Frances Green, Chelmsford, Essex (who was first arrested on June 8); Ashton Seymour, aged 46, of New Wanstead, in the London Borough of Redbridge (first arrested on June 13): and Anthony Cosgrove, aged 44, of Lodge Close, Chigwell, Essex (first arrested on August 4).

The first arrest was made on Wednesday, April 2, when detectives from Suffolk Police directed colleagues in the Metropolitan Police to an address in Ilford.

Sammy Okat-Uma, of New North Road, Ilford, was subsequently charged the following day and appeared before magistrates on April 24.

He was remanded in custody and committed to Ipswich Crown Court, where he is next due to appear on Thursday, October 22.

To get the latest updates in ongoing cases, police appeals and criminals put behind bars, click here

Read more: All the latest news from Sudbury