Home   Thetford   Article

Residents rally in attempt to ban HGVs from Eye town centre




Residents in Eye, Suffolk , have put together a petition to ban the transit of heavy goods vehicles through the town, after years of ongoing concerns about the dangers posed to homeowners and pedestrians.

Residents are reportedly fearful of sending their children to school due to HGVs recklessly mounting the pavements, colliding into properties and writing off vehicles.

A petition arranged by community group Trucks Out of Our Town (ToooT) has demanded that HGVs over 7.5 tonnes are barred from driving through the town. It has attracted almost 1,000 signatures so far, alongside a report commissioned by Eye Town Council.

Pictured from left: Eye Town Councillor Richard Berry, Suffolk County Councillor Guy McGregor, Trucks out of Our Town founder Gary Rowland and resident Tunie Brandon. Picture: Mark Bullimore.
Pictured from left: Eye Town Councillor Richard Berry, Suffolk County Councillor Guy McGregor, Trucks out of Our Town founder Gary Rowland and resident Tunie Brandon. Picture: Mark Bullimore.

Tunie Brandon, who has lived in the town for six years, said that something must be done before somebody is seriously injured.

“It’s really scary,” said the 66-year-old, who is originally from Virginia. “The problem is that they mount the pavement – and the pavements run anywhere from 12 inches to three feet. And these trucks are not going 20 miles per hour.

“If you are coming out of your house, you are sometimes taking your life into your own hands.

“We’ve had a car totalled by a night-time truck, a house that has been hit five times, a car that has been written off, a taxi that had its wing mirror taken off and garden fences have been destroyed.”

Campaigners hope to ban HGVs from travelling through Castle Street, Lowgate Street and Magdalen Street.

Mrs Brandon, who lives in Castle Street, added: “When we commissioned a report, I went from house to house and asked people how they felt about the situation.

“People said they were afraid to leave their own house, and that they were scared to let their children walk to school.

“What we are really worried about is that an elderly person or child is going to get hurt.”

The report is due to be ratified by Eye Town Council on Wednesday, before being taken to Suffolk County Council by Guy McGregor, county councillor for Hoxne and Eye.

Mrs Brandon said she felt Suffolk County Council had made little effort to listen to residents’ concerns.

“We are being stonewalled by the council,” claimed the mother-of-two. “It’s like they are saying ‘well, we need to get our trucks through’.”

In response, Andrew Reid, Suffolk County Council’s cabinet member for highways, transport and rural affairs, said the authority’s highway safety team would look into the matter, but warned that the criteria needed to impose a weight restriction may not necessarily be met.

He said: “I have asked the highway safety team to look into this. The proposed scope of work identified includes examination of the town council-commissioned report.

“However, it should be noted that the outcome of this work may recommend alternative measures.

“I have agreed that this work should continue in parallel with the wider county review of HGV routes and ahead of the community engagement planned for next year.”

Read more: All the latest news from Suffolk

Read more: All the latest news from Diss